If you enjoy reading this blog, you may also like to read my Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. You can also read about the family stories in my novels at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sportscaster Jim McKay

Jim McKay died yesterday, at age 86, at his farm in Maryland.

I know him best from the ABC Wild World of Sports, of course, but it was good to be reminded of his other achievements, especially his interests in horseracing in Maryland. My Kinnick and Brighwell ancestors lived in Maryland, so that is meaningful to me, as well. I also did not realize that Sean McManus, director of CBS Sports, was the son of Jim McKay - McManus was his birth name, McKay his professional name. They are currently running a CBS review of his life, after I started writing this, on the CBS golf coverage I had on the TV when I started writing. Curious how these things happen.

This is the way we "retirement age" folks think about these things. How does it compare to us? He was 17 years older. Johnny Carson always said that an "old person" is someone at least 15 years older than you are. Jim McKay was an "old person"... just barely!

It is those folks in the home town, or current town, that you see dying that are in their 50s and early 60s - these make you stop and think: What am I doing to hopefully not be like them? We never know, of course. But, you do stop and think. More on this as we go along, of course!

It it another good day!

Dr. Bill ;-)

No comments: