If you enjoy reading this blog, you may also like to read my Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. You can also read about the family stories in my novels at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Childhood Photos 1946-47 - 2nd Grade

 

Childhood Photos 1946-47 - 2nd Grade



On further examination, I think this is still First Grade, perhaps Spring of 1946, because the lady in back on the right is teacher, Mildred Peverstorf, in center, Pat Thomas, and on the left, Berniece  Peverstorf (sister of teacher). Youngsters from right to left, Jim Tolsdorf, Dick Hunter, Wilson Thomas, Charlotte Shirbroun, Shirley Woods, Billie Smith, Gary Hunter, Robert Hunter and the last two I just don’t recognize at this time. The photo was taken in our front yard, looking north. This is Willow #3, I count 12, so a couple are missing, but we were always a small school in my experience.


Back on track, this is my 7th birthday on July 1, 1946, with Angel Food Cake and tent as primary gift.


This is a marvelous photo of the age, a panoramic view!! I am standing behind the tent, Wilson Thomas is with the dog, that I think is actually the first photo of Whitey… my favorite dog. More on that next time. Brother Jim is standing in front. Fall has arrived. Note the car and all the out building. Neat. Light  pole in the center of the photo and the yard. Prominent in so many photos.


December 4, 1946… another dated photo… love them…an all-time favorite. All my closest friends through these early years. The occasion is the Birthday of Dennis Ford, he was eight years old, a cousin six months older than me; at the Ford farmhouse.
From left, Donna Grim, Nancy Bolger (So Sweet!!!), Kay McLaughlin, Wilson Thomas (back), Tom Rees (front), Billie Smith (back), Dennis Ford, Wayne Grim, cousin David Thomas. What a group!! ;-)


Willow #3 school children along side the school. My guess is spring of 1947. Pat and Beverly in back. Front, from left, Charlotte, Dick, Billie… Wilson Thomas on far right.


Don’t know where to put this one. So here it is!! ;-)




I’m putting this as Jimmie’s third birthday in April 1947. All dressed up!! ;-)


With Kinnick’s at the Harvey Place on the Gladden Road north of Coon Rapids where Grandpa and Grandma Kinnick lived for a few years … this where Uncle Buzz returned from Japan after his army service - in 1947.
From left, back, Karen, Billie, Kathleen
Front, Kelton (approaching 2), Jimmie (3+)
Love those cars and barn in the background!! ;-)


See your down the road! ;-)
 

2 comments:

Annette Lamb said...

I love the tent. What fun!

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

That tent was pretty special, at the time, as you can tell! Glad you liked seeing it. Not quite as sophisticated as the tents of today. More like your bedspread over the table type of tent!!! ;-)