If you enjoy reading this blog, you may also like to read my Dr. Bill Tells Ancestor Stories blog. You can also read about the family stories in my novels at The Homeplace Series blog. You can sign up for e-mail reminders.

Monday, October 12, 2020

State MYF Involvement

 

State MYF Involvement


As has been mentioned many times, Nancy and I both grew up involved in and around the Star Methodist Church (and she attended Star School across the road from the church). She lived closer to the church than I did, but my Dad grew up a mile south of the Star School/Church corner, and attended school there through 8th grade. His family was active in the Church, as well (a story for another time). My Mom had been active in the Coon Rapids Methodist Church (the two churches were one ‘charge’ - had one minister who served both). It was natural that when they married, they were both very much involved in Star Church. Therefore, I was active in Star Methodist Church, as well.

Star Church (with Star School building attached as Fellowship Hall)

My Dad walked along sidewalk!!

As a family, we attended a state-wide ‘family camp’ the summer between my 8th Grade and High School (again, a story for another time). I went to ‘church camp’ each summer of my High School years. Our churches were part of Districts with a number of other churches, with a District Superintendent. These then were under a half-state Conference, the South Iowa Conference. This was the primary church administrative unit… where ministers were appointed from, each June. There was an Annual Conference where these announcements and other policy issues were discussed by representatives of the local churches. Each local church (most anyway) had a local youth organization called the Methodist Youth Fellowship - MYF. I was active, both churches in our charge had a good number of youth who were active. We went to summer camp each year, etc. Somewhere in my Sophomore year, I got appointed to, or otherwise became involved with the Conference level of MYF in the South Iowa Conference. In June, I was a representative to their annual conference held on Simpson College in Indianola, south of Des Moines. I suppose because I had gotten to know a lot of representatives from other churches from camp, I ended up being elected Vice-President of the South Iowa Conference in June of 1955. Judy was elected President. Here is our Executive Committee:

Judy, me, Sec and Treas

Here is the whole group, with ministers and District Superintendents involved, as well. The Executive Committee is in the center:

P.S. Note blue shirt, 2nd from left, behind... John

Far right, light blue long sleeve shirt, Rev. Dave, primary sponsor

During the year, we held a number of meetings which I attended. Here is a photo of the Christmas Retreat, where we began planning for the 1956 Annual Conference of the  MYF:



At the June 1956 Conference, again at Simpson College, I was again elected Vice-President. John from Villisca was elected President for the coming year. This was my first taste of ‘politics’ I think it would be safe to say. John ‘needed’ to be president, it was said. His father was publisher of the local newspaper (for whatever that is worth) and he was very ambitious. Frankly, I liked being Vice-President, so I did not resist his efforts very much. [More about this thinking at another time].

So, here are John and I (note the rolled up short sleeve white shirts - cool!):


 

And, again, the whole group at the 1956 gathering:

Our District Superintendent was far left, short sleeve white shirt


Later, I’ll share more about our local activities, etc. This will serve to share with you that I seemed to have some leadership skills that others recognized and that I was finding out about at the same time. I’m a slow learner, might be noted, but again, can be discussed further at a later time. At the time, I was pleased to be recognized and get the attention.

Note: A bus trip to Purdue University for a Leadership Conference, and, a United Nations/Washington, D.C. visit also came out of these 'involvement's - to follow at a later date.


See you down the road…

 

2 comments:

Annette Lamb said...

I love this post. I haven't seen any of these photos before. Keep up the great work! It's fascinating.

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

I've been saving them for just this occasion. I'll keep them coming, as I can. I have come across quite a few good photos to talk about. I have posts prepared for all the time I'm in Texas and beyond... Thanks for the comment, it does keep me going. ;-)